Health and Fitness
How can an ENT Specialist Help You?
An ENT Specialist’s capacity to give medical intervention is quite vast and they can cater to all ages-both children and adults. In Singapore, you can consult with Dr. Dennis Chua for help with ENT problems – visit his website (https://drdennischua.com/) to learn more about the treatments he offers.
Imagine a day where either your ears, nose, or throat do not function well. The function of ears, nose, and throat are more than just our senses but also function as essential components for us to do our daily activities. We will surely miss a lot in life when either one of our ears, nose, and throat is having a problem. Suddenly experiencing hearing loss, or suddenly losing our sense of smell, or suddenly having difficulty in swallowing can indeed cause alarm.
This is where doctors dealing withENT (ear, nose, and throat) issues and health can be of help. Doctors who cater to problems related to ENT are called Otolaryngologists or ENT Specialists. Trained in both medicine and surgery, an ENT Specialist can be sought-out for treatments from simple stuffy nose problems to performing complex surgical proceduresand treating cancers in the head, neck, and throat.
Here are ways an ENT specialist can help you:
- Provide treatment for allergies. Having an allergy is really a troublesome problem and an ENT Specialist can provide treatments to allergies such as prescribing medicine and giving patients allergy shots to boost a patient’s tolerance to certain allergens.
- Treat Ear Conditions. An ENT Specialist can help you deal with ear infections, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), Cholesteatoma (an abnormal but noncancerous skin growth that usually found in the middle section of your ear, behind the eardrum), otitis media with effusion (the middle of the ear is blocked with fluid), etc.
- Treatment options for loss of hearing. An ENT can collaborate with an audiologist (a health care professional trained to evaluate hearing loss and related disorders) to be able to plan treatment options for hearing loss.
- Provide relief for dizziness and vertigo (Balance Disorders). Having a sense of balance is controlled by our ears and an ENT Specialist can help determine the cause and be able to provide treatment.
- Help patients with sinus problems. An ENT can provide treatment options for people having sinus problems such as sinus infections, etc.
- Treatment for diseases of the larynx. An ENT specialist can help you with problems with the larynx and voice such as include vocal cord nodules, polyps or cysts, and hoarseness
- Detection and Treatment for head, throat, and mouth cancers.
- Relief for Nasal Congestion. An ENT Specialist diagnoses and treats nasal congestion (either caused by allergies, sinus infections, structural nose issues, etc.)
- Treatment for Speech and Swallowing Disorders. ENT Specialists work with other specialized doctors in treating disorders related to swallowing and voice and speech disorders.
- Help patients with Sleep apnea and other sleep disorders (e.g. snoring). Sleepapnea is a serious condition where the airways are restricted, and an ENT Specialist can help you with a lot of treatment options.
- Perform complex surgical procedures.An ENT specialist is trained in surgery and may perform complex surgical procedures to treat ENTproblems.
- For the Ears: Tympanomastoid surgery (removal of cholesteatoma), Myringotomy (insertion of “ear tubes” to ease chronic ear infections)
- For the Nose: Septoplasty (involves the correction of the nasal septum to prevent obstruction, making breathing easier), Sinus Surgery (to treat severe sinus conditions)
- For the Throat: Tonsillectomy (tonsil removal), Adenoidectomy (removal of adenoids, Surgery in the larynx, Removal of neck lumps, and salivary gland tumors, and Tracheostomy (involves finding a way around an upper airway obstruction, cleaning and removing secretions from the airway or delivering oxygen safely into the lungs without any problems.)
- Facial cosmetic surgery. An ENT Specialist’s treatments can also include rhinoplasty (a surgical procedure that changes the shape of the nose to improve breathing and/or change the appearance of the nose), ear surgery, or Otoplasty (a surgical procedure to change the shape, position, or size of the ears to correct misshapen ears due to an injury or birth defect or for cosmetic reasons), Blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery (to treat droopy eyelids, etc.), and facial reconstruction to treat after-effects on the face of trauma or cancer.
From the above discussion, it can be seen that an ENT Specialist offers a lot of care options and can also work with other medical professions to be able to treat conditions of the ear, nose, and throat, including the head and the neck. Treatments provided by an ENT Specialist vary from simple to complex thus can cater to different cases of ENT problems. And,since an ENT Specialist can perform surgery, there is no need for them to refer to surgeons if surgical operation is required, thus providing the most suitable treatments. This field of medical help can be benefited bya wide variety of people, children, and adults alike.