There are specific types of blinds that will help keep your house energy efficient. Choosing the right blinds can help keep your home at an ideal temperature level. Windows are the main outlet of warmth within a house. It is important to choose the right window furnishings to complement and not drain your resources.
Selecting the right blinds should also be about keeping your house cool in the hot months and warm in the cold months. Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Some blinds will only work to keep your house cool on hot days. The greatest amount of heat loss occurs at night when temperatures drop.
German window blinds are high-quality window designs that aim to keep your house as energy-efficient as possible. They offer durability and will last a long time without you needing to buy a new set. They are also easy to maintain as they do not need regular washing, just dusted from time to time.
Different types of blinds will offer various thermal performances. They also come in other fabrics and materials. For the most part, heavy materials and fabrics will provide better insulation against the cold. However, if your blinds are not adapted to heat retention, you could always change them into blinds that are effective at heat retention.
The main reasons you should choose blinds over curtains is because:
- When used properly, blinds increase efficiency. When temperatures drop, leave your blinds open to ensure some sunshine trickles in for an ideal temperature at night. when you close your blinds, the heat will be trapped inside, hence keeping your house warm.
- In the hot months, heat entering your house can be controlled. Keeping some blinds open and closing others can regulate the amount of heat entering your interiors. In the summer, the heat can be damaging, especially to your paint.
- Blinds store heat and conserve energy. When your blinds are closed, the fabric or material absorbs heat. The heat is stored in between the blind flaps and, in turn, heats up a room when it is cold.
- Blinds reduce heat loss in winter. Because blinds can absorb heat during the day, they come in handy when you need heat inside your house. They also trap heat within a room until they are opened. Of course, you will keep them closed in winter to have more warmth and reduce your utility bill expenditure.
With the variety of blinds available in any color, size, or shape, you can pick out what best suits your budget, home interior, and décor. If you are a supporter of the “go green” movement, then blinds are a great way to reduce your carbon footprint.
What is the Difference Between a Curtain and a Blind?
When choosing the type of window dress that best suits your needs, it is key to make sure that you are getting the right treatments for your windows and house. If you are in a dilemma between two choices, you will have to weigh each of the different pros and cons.
A hazard for both types of window treatments is the cords. For safety purposes, ensure that your cables are shortened, cord stops installed, or anchored to a wall.
Here are some of the differences between blinds and curtains:
- You will have more design options with curtains than with blinds. Blinds are either horizontal or vertical, while curtains can be designed in any fabric, shape, and form. Curtains can also give a room texture. Blinds, on the other hand, offer a minimalist look, which can look great in some spaces.
- Compared to blinds, curtains are more effective at blocking out light.
- Curtains are more energy-efficient, but blinds give you a lot of light control.
- Blinds are cheaper than curtains from the fabric down to the installation and maintenance. Curtains cost more than blinds and are harder to clean.
- Curtains can act as a sound insulation system as they can quieten down a room. On the other hand, blinds give a place a sense of being larger because they do not take up much space.
What are the Best Window Blinds for Energy Efficiency?
The best German window blinds that also offer energy efficiency include:
- Cellular or Honeycomb Shades- These are one of the best blinds for optimal thermal performance. Because of the sophistication they bring into a room and their energy retention, they are a personal best for anyone who uses them.
- Pleated Blinds- This German patented blind style puts child safety first. It has no dangerous cords. They are easy to design with or incorporate into a room. Pleated blinds are not only lovely and optimal thermal design, but they are structured as well.
- Roller Shades- These are the classic style in the world of blinds, shutters, and shades. They are the best option to cover glass windows and tall and wide windows and openings. They also come in a large selection of colors, designs, prints, and shades. You could not possibly go wrong.
- Roman Shades- They are made of thick material that also offers insulation. The best part about roman shades is that they add vibrancy to a room while being warming at the same time. They again go with any form or type of interior décor, modern or traditional.
- Shutters- Shutters have fewer gaps than blinds, and this, plus the fabric they are made from, offers better insulation than most window treatments.