A firewall means a fire retaining wall and is actually inspired by a physical object called a firewall. These firewalls are installed in buildings to prevent the spread of fire from its source. The firewall is installed for separating two apartment units so that in the event of a fire, the fire won’t spread from one unit to another quickly.
There are many firewalls available in the market. The firewalls are differentiated in terms of strength and selectivity of access, and the scope of protection at different layers of the OSI (Open System Interconnection). Firewall courses are available in different universities and colleges. The students have to collect course details, admission procedures, and course fees from online sources. The Cyber degree hub is an online source where you can find info about those courses.
What is Firewall?
A firewall is the network security system that is used for monitoring and controlling the incoming and departing network traffic based on fixed security regulations. The firewall plays the role of a barrier between the trusted network and the entrusted network, for example, the Internet. Get more details about cyber security at cyber degree hub.
Types of Firewall
- Proxy-firewall: A proxy firewall is used for filtering out flagged messages at the application layer
- State full-Inspection Firewall: This firewall blocks incoming traffic based on state, port, and protocol.
- Unified Threat-Management (UTM) Firewall: This firewall combines the features of a traditional firewall along with other security aspects.
- Next Generation Firewall: This Firewall blocks modern-day cyber threats like advanced malware and application-layer breeches.
- Threat-directed NGFW: This firewall provides advanced threat discovery and remediation measures.
Functions of Firewall
- As the Network Security Post
- Prevent leakage of the valuable information
- Record User Activity
- Prevent Modification of 3rd Party Data
There is a growing use of Firewall technology. Earlier the firewall used for filtering out the computer traffic using IP addresses, port numbers, and protocols. Now the firewall is able to filter incoming data by identifying the content message it carries. To manage the traffic of computer and internet data transfer, a firewall uses the combination of the following methods:
- Packet Filtering: It works by monitoring the incoming and outgoing packages that allow it to pass or hold on, based on its Internet Protocol (IP) address, port, and protocol.
- State full inspection: State full Inspection is called the dynamic firewall where the active status of the connection is monitored and the information obtained will be judged whether a network packet can penetrate the firewall.
Pieces to be studied Under Firewall
- Platforms and Architecture
- Initial Configuration and Interface Configuration
- Security, NAT Policies and Site-to-Site VPNs
- Monitoring and the Reporting
- Active and Passive High Availability
- Global-Protect and User-ID
- URL Filtering and Decryption
The protection of the computer networks from the malicious attacks of hackers has to be done with great diligence so that all these malware, spyware, and viruses are prevented from infecting the computer. The students who complete the Bachelor’s degree in cyber security are eligible for getting top jobs like Information Security Analyst, Computer System Administrator, Computer Systems Analyst, etc. Get complete details about firewall courses from cyber degree hub for your job prospect.