As we rapidly move forward in an increasingly digital world, the way we perceive and interact with our surroundings is being transformed. One area that has seen a significant evolution is the real estate industry — and the driving force behind this transformation is virtual staging.
Virtual staging is a digital technique used to transform images of empty or poorly furnished properties into beautifully staged homes. This process is achieved by employing skilled designers and advanced software tools to create realistic renderings of fully furnished and decorated interiors, based on the property’s existing layout and structure.
How Virtual Staging Works
After high-quality photographs of the property are taken of the property, capturing the space in its current state, the virtual staging team collaborates with the real estate agent, homeowner, or property developer for a design consultation. They work together to determine the desired style, furniture, and décor for the staged property.
Designers use specialized software to create digital renderings of the property, incorporating the chosen furniture, décor, and style elements.
Once the initial renderings are complete, the client has the opportunity to review them and request any necessary changes. This iterative process ensures the final images meet the client’s expectations and showcase the property in the best possible light.
The final, high-quality images are delivered to the client, ready for use in marketing materials, online listings and other promotional efforts.
Bella Virtual Staging has established itself as a virtual staging industry leader, helping partners achieve impressive results. In 2022, the team worked on 1,685 projects, helping their partners gain four times the exposure on their listings, resulting in a staggering $842,500,000 worth of property sales on average.
Before & after: The power of virtual staging
Virtual staging’s primary advantage lies in its ability to create striking visualizations of properties, transforming empty or poorly furnished spaces into stunning, aspirational homes. By using high-quality digital renderings, prospective buyers can easily visualize the full potential of a property, making it easier for them to envision themselves living in the space.
According to the National Association of Realtors, 81% of buyers’ agents say staging a home makes it easier for buyers to visualize the property as their future home. Additionally, staged homes can have a perceived value of up to 10% more than non-staged homes. The impact is striking, and the results speak for themselves: homes that have been virtually staged typically sell faster and for higher prices.
Virtual staging is poised to become an indispensable tool for the real estate industry. Here are a few ways experts predict virtual staging will lead the way in the future:
- Immersive virtual tours: With the rise of virtual reality and augmented reality technologies, virtual staging will soon offer fully immersive 3D walkthroughs of properties. According to a National Association of Realtors survey, 67% of homebuyers found virtual tours and floor plans to be very useful in their home search.
- Personalized staging: Virtual staging will become more personalized, enabling potential buyers to customize the staging according to their preferences. This level of customization will help buyers envision themselves living in the space, creating a stronger emotional connection to the property.
- Integration with smart home technologies: As smart home technologies become more prevalent, virtual staging will integrate these features, showcasing the latest innovations in home automation and energy efficiency. According to Statista, the smart home market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 11.9% between 2021 and 2025. By incorporating smart home technologies in virtual staging, real estate professionals can attract tech-savvy buyers and demonstrate the property’s potential for increased comfort, convenience, and energy savings.
- Artificial intelligence driven design: AI-driven design tools will become more sophisticated, allowing virtual staging companies like Bella Virtual Staging to create even more realistic and aesthetically pleasing renderings, further enhancing the overall appeal of a property. According to MarketsandMarkets, AI in the construction market is projected to grow from $329.3 million in 2017 to $1,831 million in 2023.
- Eco-friendly and sustainable design: As sustainability becomes a top priority for homebuyers, virtual staging will focus on showcasing eco-friendly and sustainable design elements, helping to attract environmentally conscious buyers.
JD Lloyd is business development manager with Bella Staging, a team of interior designers, graphic designers and real estate experts located in the heart of Vancouver, BC.