We’ve all heard about swimming pools, but have you ever heard of natural swimming ponds? Do you assume all safe bodies of water require maintenance with toxic chemicals and chlorine? Do you love swimming but wish there was another alternative to unsightly pools that encompass half the yard without offering any real beauty? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then a natural swimming pond might be just the right addition for your backyard! Continue reading to learn more about what natural swimming pools are, how they work, as well as their benefits, so you can decide if this investment is right for you!
So, What Is a Natural Swimming Pond and How Do They Work?
Natural swimming ponds are one of the simplest ways to combine beauty and practicality in your backyard. These amazing water features double as landscaping and a swimming pool, so you and yours have a place to cool off on the hottest of summer days. If you are conscious about what you are putting in your body and the environment, you will be happy to know that natural swimming ponds use plants, mechanical filters, and biological filters to maintain the water in lieu of harsh chemicals and chlorine. These ponds typically maintain themselves with an ecosystem of flora that is installed inside the water or that adjoins to the pond. This natural filtration system works efficiently to keep your water, clean and clear by eliminating debris, algae, and sediment. Ultimately, the goal is to use natural filtration options to reduce nutrients from circulating in the water, so algae growth is reduced.
What Are the Benefits of Adding a Natural Swimming Pond to Your Backyard?
1) Water Features – Natural swimming ponds can be used as an integral part of your landscape design. They offer a great focal point, whether it’s in the middle of your yard or surrounding a patio area. You can also choose from a variety of shapes, sizes, and plant life to fit your style and budget.
2) Cooling Off – In the heat of the day, nothing beats being able to jump into a pool filled with refreshing water. However, if you don’t live near a pool, you may not get the chance to enjoy this luxury. Luckily, natural swimming ponds provide a similar experience. Not only do they allow you to cool down, but they also help to reduce the amount of energy you use during hot weather.
3) Create Beauty – When you think of a beautiful garden, most people automatically think of flowers, trees, and grass. Did you know that natural swimming ponds can be used within your existing landscaping to enhance the beauty and functionality of your yard? They add color, texture, and life to your yard, making it look like something out of a magazine.
4) Eco-Friendly – Did you know that natural swimming ponds are eco-friendly? Unlike traditional pools, which need to be maintained with harsh chemicals and chlorinated water, natural swimming ponds use plants and other natural methods to filter their water. This means no harmful chemicals leaching into the environment, no nasty smells, and no dangerous health risks. Moreover, natural ponds use far less energy to maintain than their unnatural counterparts. Thus, helping you to reduce your carbon footprint without sacrificing the joy of your very own swimming hole.
5) Easy Maintenance, Low Expense – Another advantage of having a natural swimming pond is that it requires little to no upkeep. You won’t be tasked with the expense and time commitment to treat and maintain natural ponds, unlike traditional pools. Furthermore, since your pond is a part of nature, you won’t need to worry with winterization or draining each fall. The only maintenance required is skimming large debris off the top, like leaves and having it serviced annually by a reputable installer.
6) Make Memories – Kids grow up way too fast. Make memories with your family all summer long with a natural pool. Not only will your kids enjoy splashing around during the hottest of days, but they will also enjoy nature all around them. This relaxing, yet entertaining addition is perfect to foster family fun and togetherness!
7) Add Equity – If you are looking for a simple way to increase the value of your property, look no further than the addition of a natural pond. Landscaping, water features, and pools all help drive up the cost of homes on the market. With a natural pond, you get the benefit of all three for the price of one!
8) In Style Year-Round – Traditional pools are essentially useless during the winter when they cannot be used for swimming. However, since natural swimming ponds are part of the landscaping, they look great year-round, even during the winter.
9) Peaceful Environment – Natural swimming ponds are a wonderful addition to your home because they create a peaceful environment. Instead of fighting against other landscaping for space, they work together to form a harmonious community. Natural ponds basically take care of themselves, leaving you free to relax and enjoy your surroundings.
10) Create An Escape from The World – When was the last time you took a break from the world and just enjoyed some peace and quiet? Do you ever wish you could do this every day? Well, now you can! By adding a natural swimming pond to the back yard, you can escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and experience true tranquility.
Prior to making any decisions regarding your new backyard oasis, it will be important to consider some important questions, so you choose the right feature for your unique lifestyle.
Start by pondering about how big you want your pond to be. Will you have children who play in it often? How much space do you have? How much of your yard are you willing to sacrifice for your swimming pond? Speak with an installer to receive an accurate quote, so you can determine if your needs can be met within your budget.
Additionally, consider where you place your pond? It is important to find an area that receives full sun exposure and avoid placing it near trees or shrubs that might block sunlight. Since, natural ponds rely on the sun to heat them, it will be imperative that choose a spot that receives maximum sunlight, or it may never get warm enough to swim.
After learning more about the benefits of adding a natural swimming pond, as well as determining if you have the space/location that would make installing your own pond worthwhile, consider if you are ready to take the plunge and invest in this amazing backyard feature!